decisions, decisions

The RD pistons are fairly common, they are in any 8v GTI built from '85-'92 I believe.  They would work with a hydro head, as the RD motor itself has a hydro head.  You could just throw them in, but it really depends on the condition of your cylinder walls and the pistons.  If your honing marks are fresh and bores still tight, they you could probably just put new rings on and go.  Otherwise it may be best to rehone, which can be done with the block still in the car BTW.  As far as P&P, I already *kinda* PPed my head with a dremel, and I don't think it helped much.  A professional job which should run about $300 would probably fair much better though.  HTH,

-Rob

Dan Smith <sad_rocc@yahoo.com> wrote:
Thanks for the info. Would the RD pistons be hard to find and can I just throw them in? I'd prefer to stay with the hydro cam to avoid valve adjusting and stuff. Also, I don't go above 4k very often. Would the RD pistons work with a hydro head? Lastly, I'm looking for something with more oompf than a G-grind. I'm considering P & P but I have no idea what it'd cost. I don't really think I'll shave the head as I want to keep machining to a minimum as machining equals mucho dinero. Thanks for the ideas? Dan P.S.- Is there anyone on the list who has a flow bench and the ability to port and polish? Or better yet, extrude hone?

Robbie Cotner wrote:I have almost exactly the same engine(except I have solid lifters) and want to go the same route as you are. When staying NA, all you can really do is upgrade to 10:1 pistons from an RD (GTI) motor, a solid-head w/ g-grind cam(however I'd actually prefer a hydro head since i don't rev too high and like quiet engines and no valve adjustment), and a port and polish job. Shaving the head is also an option, but then you can easily turn your 8v into an interference engine like a 16v. Also some of the biggest power gains can be realized by simply tuning it up right, getting brand new fuel injectors, tracking down vacuum leaks and the like. HTH,

-Rob

Dan Smith wrote:
After having the 3a motor I was planning on getting sold out from under me, I've decided to go with a modded 1.8 8v for my 81 rocc. Basically, it's considerably cheaper, I have the engine already, it's a lot simplier and I will have money leftover for things such as swaybars, possibly professional rust repair and repaint etc, etc. So, now my question is, what do I do? I have a 1.8 JH with a hydro head, g60 rubber head gasket and a gti TB with matching intake. Where do I go from here? I'm staying NA and the car is a DD so I can't have some silly huge cam in it. However, I don't have to pass emissions so that may open things up a bit. I'd also like to stick with my stock CIS fuel setup, as rewiring can get pretty messy. Suggestions? (When suggesting stuff, it'd really help if you included a ballpark price as well) Dan