[tech] Mk1 16V Update

Well...here's an update...

I now know that I'm having problems with fuel.  A quick review of the problem....my rocco, once warmed
up, dies and won't start till it has cooled down.

What I did yesterday....I had my sis' fiance drive my car until it got warm and died out.  When it died,
I did a coupla things.  I replaced the coil with a new one and nada.  Wouldn't start.  I'm guessing that
the coil on the car is fine.  I am also running a switched jumper wire so it's not the fuel pump relay
which is overheating.  In fact, I measured the voltage at the fuel pump.  It's getting 9.5 volts when
the car is not running.  I'm not sure if that's enough voltage but it sounds like the pump is running.

While the car was not starting when warm, I checked the fuel pressure...seeing that I don't have a fuel
pressure gauge, I simply pulled an injector and lifted the plate in the fuel distributor.  With the fuel
pump switched on, only a lil tiny bit of fuel came out of the injector (almost none at all).  Am I
correct to assume that I'm having problems with the fuel?  If so, what should I be looking at?  Fuel
pump was replaced last September and fuel filter was replaced two weeks ago...anything else?  The dealer
says I prolly have crap in my gas tank, but I can't see how that would cause the car not to run...any
further ideas?  I greatly appreciate it...thanks.

Sal Guzzo

- Fear is your only god.