  From: T. Reed
  To: Jonathan
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 7:33 PM
  Subject: RE: frount motor mount

  Yep, and I'll add - the first thing I would do to prevent cracking is go
  under your car right now and unbolt the front and rear motor mounts,
  leaving the engine supported only by the side mounts. Then tighten the
  front and rear mounts again. This is sort of a half-assed shadetree engine
  mount alignment.. but the idea is to take the weight of the engine off of
  the front and rear mounts because weight on those two mounts is believed
  to be a contributing factor in the development of cracks. The front and
  rear mounts are designed to prevent engine rotation only.

  Why would they be supporting engine weight? Well, chances are you're not
  on your first clutch and whoever owned the car before you may have taken
  it to a shop for work (such as a clutch) where they monkeyed around with
  the engine mounts. Most shops are pretty incompetent, so there's a chance
  your mounts are set up wrong.

  Given the price and hassle involved in fixing crossmember cracks,
  prevention is definitely the best option.

  -Toby