performance question

--- Carpenter/Graffy <egraffy@earthlink.net> wrote:

I have driven 87
> GLI's and GTI's with
> this motor and the stock cam and ignition system, and
> have not experienced
> the performance limitations I did today.

I'm wondering if you're running too lean on the top end?

FWIW, using the 80mm airflow plate of the later distributor
will help.  Currently in my '80 I'm running stock '81
electronic ignition / vacuum system, later airflow plate
(tricky because I have to use the non-O2 sensor
distributor), stock injection (non air-shrouded injectors),
TT race pipe / exhaust, and what is reportedly a 260 cam.
I can't tell you how many times I've accidently shifted
this thing at 7k rpm 'cuz it just kept pulling.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, 90 Passat Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '66 Cessna 150, '81 Scirocco, '82 Scirocco, '85 Scirocco.
"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong."