performance question

Thanks for getting back to me, Brian.
You mentioned the 84 GTI fuel distributor combined with air shrouded
injectors and a simple mechanical advance ignition distributor , along with
your recommendation for the 272 cam. I have driven 87 GLI's and GTI's with
this motor and the stock cam and ignition system, and have not experienced
the performance limitations I did today. Although I agree that the engine
could use a more aggressive cam profile, I have to believe there is
something more basic going on here. In addition, I was experiencing this on
long straights, which would rule out anything related to differentials. I
have no problem with corners.
Thanks Again,
Cris