front end rattle

The basics of finding out involve hanging the front end of the car on jack
stands to let the wheels dangle, and checking for play by shaking or
wiggling the wheels left/right and top/bottom. I'll bet that when shaking
at least one of the front tires front/back (left/right), which means
pulling from one side and pushing from the other, back and forth in rapid
succession, you will find play in the ball joints and/or tie rods (note:
both inner and outer tie rod sockets). Use an assistant if you can't wiggle
the wheel and look/feel for play in all these places at the same time.
Remember to leave the ignition unlocked so it can move freely. It is
probably good to also lift on each of the dangling wheels to see if the
upper strut bearings are sloppy or the strut caps are not tightened down
far enough, etc.
Good hunting,
Cris