phantom grip diffs

--- Ryan H <rhock99@epix.net> wrote:
>...almost as good as a real LSD.

If I'm not mistaken, Phantom Grip (www.phantomgrip.com)and OPM Motorsports
(www.opmmotorsports.com)limited-slip diff both offer the *exact same* technology - springs and
friction surfaces - that have provided LSD capability to untold millions of American and other RWD
cars.  They *are* 'real' LSD's - they defined the term before the TorSen (precursor to Quaife, who
basically copied and modded the design IIRC) was invented.

A friction LSD is simple and it works.  They do wear over time...a long time.  I envision faster
wear for sure on an autox than a drag strip, since you're spinning the diff more when turning.
I'd reckon that OEM units are better designed than Phantom Grip and OPM, but that's just an
opinion.

The reason I don't like them for VW's is that our diffs *were never designed for them* and have to
be modified to accept them.  Those springs work against spider gears that simply weren't meant to
have spring tension against them, or serve as friction surfaces.  On VW's part, this is NOT a
design flaw, NOT a design omission - it simply wasn't degign *criteria.*

A Quaife is heavier and will not stop an unloaded wheel from spinning.  (But really, how often is
one front wheel in the air, anyway?).

I'd not hesitate to try an OPM version except that, at $675, a Quaife or Peloquin diff (not the
shim kit) is not that much more expensive, and isn't a compromise solution - it's a purpose-built,
fully engineered, tested, and warranted product.  And the Quaife is superbly machined, if I might
add.

$0.03, this time.  I need more money, I'm out of work.

Ron