Shift linkage

On Fri, 16 May 2003 17:36:16 -0500, "Tom C" <tomc@satx.rr.com> wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Easy question, does the shift linkage have to be changed when going from a 4
>speed to a 5 speed? If so what actually needs to be changed? What else might
>need a changing, I have a 1.8L mated to a 4sp now.

My swap needed all new parts and required a sawzall job on the opening
in the floor.  But, my original 4spd linkage (late 75 type) is totally
different from what was used on 1976 & later models. Don't know if you
can mix and match in later models, but the selector lever (vertical
piece that slides onto the splined shaft) is longer on a 5spd, IIRC.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9