Swap out intake cam with an exhaust?

Rick,

  The modified exhaust cam is not actually "flipped"...
You simply cut off the end of the exhaust cam where the
cam gear would be bolted.  I just cut this end off with
my trusty hack saw and then sanded the end to make it
smooth... once done, this end will appear similar to
the end of the stock intake cam (the end w/o the gear).

Guys that say to re-index the cam are referring to the
side of the exhaust cam where the gear is already.  You
need to cut a "second" slot on that side of the cam
106 degrees off (I think that was the number...)

Honestly, I did not do this at all... just cut off the
end as described above and then installed the modified
cam as the intake... just was careful to disregard the
stock timing mark and make sure the new intake cam was
lined up correctly when I installed the cam chain...

With about 4 degrees advance on my adjustable cam gear,
I was happy.

Take a look at my dyno plot from Dyno Day '02... it's
down near the bottom of the page (Ben's Mk1)
under "dyno plots"

Something like 117hp at the wheels from a 1.8 16v...
that's not too shabby I'd say.  :)

http://www.scirocco.org/list/dynoday2k2/page1.html

Ben