Rear Disc E-Brake issues

I just replaced my rear calipers after the e-brake completely stopped working last year.
But,  my e-brake is still not working.  I adjusted the brake lever and pull until the
cables are super tight but no good.  They get a little tight but not enough to PASS
INSPECTION!!!.  That is the issue otherwise I would blow it off.....anyway I am guessing
the cables are shot.  Is this the kind of symptoms of bad cables?  I do not feel like
chasing down the wrong issue.  I need to get this thing inspected soon!!  I want to
Autocross Sunday and I imagine I will not be able to without a valid NYS inspection.
Thanks for the help.

PS I bled the brakes but have not driven the car yet to see if they are good....would it
matter?

ADVThanksANCE

=====
Michael Leach--Elmira,NY
87 16v all red the only real Scirocco color
01 Chevy Venture Warner Bros Ed...sweet ICE....(4 kids)
84 Jetta 2-Door  the little orphan with a bad heart waiting for
a new home and transplant  BUY ME!!!
90 Passat GL Auto needs a little reconstructive surgery on its behind
85 Scirocco step-child loud + ugly but reliable...so I must sell it BUY ME TOO!!!