what should i do? (motor guru's wanted) *long*

alright.

well, for those who aren't up to date, somehow, i killed the
main bearing. (the one where the thrust washers are supposed
to be, but i had a one piece style one). i really don't know what
happened, but i drove all last year on it and it was fine. i installed
a new clutch on over the winter and when i started it, it got killed
instantly. maybe it was something i did on the clutch install, but
when i disassembled it, everything seemed to be in order. i was trying
to think about what could of happened, but couldn't see anything unusual
when i took the tranny off.

so i drop the pan and take all the bearing caps off. it was right there,
i saw the crank move when the clutch was pushed in. so i call the
motor guy to tell him to come and check it out. by looking at the cap
he said that i'll be okay if i put another crank in with new bearings.
it only wore on one side of the cap (the one closer to the tranny).

i didn't burn the bearing down to cap. i basically shaved the bearing
a bit on the sides (hence the damage on the crank) but the cap is still
alright. i can fit a new bearing in there no problem. the only thing is
that i'm worried if i do just replace the bearing and bolt it back up is if
it'll hold up. i really don't want to take the motor out and redo the block,
but if it's necessary, i will. i really don't feel like taking it out in
the middle
of the summer.

burnt bearing.

http://www.psycode.com/paul/stupidasscar/Picture%20076.jpg
http://www.psycode.com/paul/stupidasscar/Picture%20084.jpg
http://www.psycode.com/paul/stupidasscar/Picture%20087.jpg
http://www.psycode.com/paul/stupidasscar/Picture%20094.jpg

mint side of the of the bearing/cap (no damage at all)

http://www.psycode.com/paul/stupidasscar/Picture%20085.jpg

crank damage.

http://www.psycode.com/paul/stupidasscar/Picture%20100.jpg

sorry for such shitty pics, my camera sucks a close ups.

once a new bearing is installed, and a new crank is bolted up, it seems
that all my clearances will be all good. the thrust washers will be pressed up
against the side of the crank and the sides of the cap that i shaved don't
touch
anything. it only wore because of the failure that i had. i'm sooo wacked.
the motor guy told me that i stopped just in time because i didn't wear through
the bearing sides (where the thrust washers would of been if it we're a 3 pc).
he also told me that he's built a whole load of 16v's with one piece main
bearings
and never has had a problem before.

he said that it was a clearance problem and that the problem should be
something
i should of obviously notice when taking off the tranny/crank. everything
seemed all
good. just one thing i noticed when installing the tranny back after the
new clutch
install (before this happend), that the pressure plate was CLOSE (like
touching) the side
of the block.

this is what i was planning on doing. i took the crank off already, and the
engine
guy is working on getting me a new one for sometime next week. i figure
that i'll
replace all the bearings, bolt it back up and then measure everything. make
sure
that all the specs are within their tolerances. if something isn't right,
just take the block
out and get a new one at that point. is it worth it for me to go through
the hassle, or it
is just super screwed and give up now?

oh man.

this car is makin me nuts. i almost blacked out today because i was so
stressed.
started seeing shapes and weird colors, i had to sit down.

once again,
any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

paul