timing marks

Simce my rocco desided to start over heating and I'm going to be replacing
the water pump and t-stat I figured now would be a great time to replace a
few other things like the timing belt.  So I've got the top timing cover off
and the crack shaft pully timing mark happened to be lined up with the arrow
on the lower cover I look up at the cam pully and notice that the timing
mark on it is no where near the mark on the valve cover.  Does this mean
that maybe someone had the crack pully of and put it back on incorrectly?
The car has run great (with some minor issues) for the last 2 years since
I've owned it so I don't think the timing is actually that far off.  This is
the first time I've torn things down this far so it's all greek to me at
this point.  I plan on checking the bently when I go to put everything back
together but thouht I'd check here as well.

As to my over heating issue, I'm sad to say that the t-stat that I pulled
out seems to be working perfectly and there is no play in the water pump
shaft.  Replacing all this anyway but I'm open to other suggestions as to
what to look for.  No hoses are/were leaking and there was no oil in the
water and I can't see any evidence of water in the oil.  I replaced the temp
sensor in the head and the temp gage in the cluster prior to tear down and
got the same temp readings. I don't see an increase in oil temps when the
water temp gage is reading at almost the hot mark.  However the cooling fan
now isn't coming on till it's almost at the hot mark when it used to kick in
just after the needle got passed the led.  Fan switch is a little over a
year old, could this be the issue?  Replacing the pump anyway as it's 15
years old and I don't want to tempt fate any further.  Planning on doing a
coolent flush after new pump is in, is there anything I can check while
things are mostly torn appart?

William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v
89' Cabriolet 8v