Emissions suggestion from archive..good idea?

 This first time through emissions has been quite an ordeal thus far.  Got
my car back from the emissions shop from being dialed in.  They were able to
get everything within specs except the idle HC which is still reading 241
ppm when the limit is 220.  They said this was a result of a bad cat. which
is 100 F degrees to cold on the back end.  Searching through the list
archives I came across a emissions test tip to add a bottle of rubbing
alcohol to a 1/4 tank of gas.  Does anyone do this with success still?
Would this help my current situation at all?  Would really like to not drop
the money for a new cat.

Thanks again for any help.  I have appreciated the advice and suggestions so
far.

greg

87 16v