Some brake and jack questions

Hello all:

     My '81 Mk.1 has the Kelsey-Hayes front calipers.  Do the Girling or
Teves (ATE) calipers offer any advantages in terms of stopping power,
reliability, ease of maintenance, availability of parts, etc?  They look
like they would offer better cooling without the honking cylinder of the K-H
blocking the airstream.

     The new rear drums (along with everything else) I got from the Potters
came with an instruction sheet which says that break-in should be
accomplished by gentle driving for, I think, 200kM.  Does the usual disc
brake bedding in recipe of a series of medium and hard stops not apply?

     My current '81 came with a very scary "jack" which opens like a hinge
(just like the one pictured in the owner's manual).  Did the designers ever
use this thing on an actual car on an uneven surface?  At night?  With cars
whizzing by at 70mph?  In the rain?  My first '81 came with a VW stamped
scissor jack which is excellent--no damage to the body, lifts straight up,
and needs minimal clearance to fit.  Which VW models came with this jack?
Thanks, benton---