what is going on with my tranny?!?!?!?!?!?

heres what's up. I bought a 87 rocco16v from a guy three months ago. he
rebuilt the motor with the 2.0 block and the tranny with the autotech fifth
gear conv, the motor and tranny has about 40,000 miles. I have put 2,000
miles on the car, and now when i down shift or let off of the gas I hear a
rubbing noise and sometimes like a grinding or ticking :( when I give it gas
everything is normal sounding!? I know for sure it is not the cv's or the
wheel bearings. I do not know much about the tranny and could use some
advice on what the problem is and what to do with it.   Please help me with
this headache!!! thanks, parker scirocco@hotmail.com