warm engine quiting problem

Lister Dan Williams is having an issue with his 86 8v.  If he's tuck in
traffic for any length of time, the car will die and then give him rouble
restarting.  First time this happens, the car will fire right back up,
however, anytime after that, if he's still in traffic and the car dies
again, he takes upto 10min before the car will fire back up.  Now so long as
he doesn't hit an trafic, he can go with no problems.

So, can I get a collective list of all the things that are "Known" to cause
this and even some things that could but who knows for sure.  We have the
weekend to tear the car apart ands reassemble it so we are looking for any
thing.

William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v
89' Cabriolet 8v