16v vs 8v rear hatch

It's a funky vacuum locking system used by Volkswagen on a lot of their
cars... There is a bi-directional pump in the trunk area that can either
create a vacuum or pressure to activate solenoids in the doors, etc.

The solenoid in the drivers door is the master. Depending on if you lock or
unlock the door by the key or the door pin it sends a 'signal' to the pump
on if the door is being locked or unlocked. If the door is being locked the
pump comes on and pulls a vacuum to pull the passenger side door peg down,
lock the fuel filler door and lock the hatch. If the door is being opened
then the pump pressurizes the other solenoids thus unlocking
everything.  The pump will run for a few seconds, depending on the car,
until a specific pressure or vacuum is reached. If the system has a leak
the pump runs for 5 seconds then shuts off automatics.

The rear hatch lock has 3 positions in cars with central lock. If the key
hole is vertical the hatch is always locked, you must use a key to open it.
Position 2 is reached by turning the key about 30 degrees to the right from
vertical and pressing in, this will unlock the hatch. Position 3 is with
the key hole horizontal. In this position the hatch is locked and unlocked
with the central locking system. If you unlock the car and the keyhole is
horizontal all you do is press the lock in with you thumb, no key is required.

I think that covers all the options.
-Raffi