Springs and shocks Q

I have heard this both ways.  I am leaning to H&R Sport springs but when I
get my Bilsteins to go with, do I have to go with "Sport" on those due to
the drop on the springs?  Or can I go with the slightly more forgiving
damping rate (presumably) on the Bil's HD version.  Asking about
compatibility, not preference here. Just trying to get a moderate/firm
street ride and part time auto-X use.  I understand this is a pretty popular
combo.
Ken
'79 Scirocco 16v
'81 Diesel Caddy