New Engine... NO Oil Pressure!!!!

I have just installed my freshly rebuilt 2.0 16v into my '80 rocco with
so much excitement to hear it finally run for the first time!  But wait,
what's this!?  My oil pressure gauge is reading 0.5 bar!!!???

I have checked all clearances before engine assembly, installed a NEW oil
pump, and tried a few different oil pressure senders and gauges.  But when
the engine is started, my gauge reads near 0 at idle and only up to about
0.5 bar at 2000rpm.  The engine has only been run for appx. 3-5 minutes so
far through my troubleshooting...

Tonight I installed the new oil pump with no improved results... after
dropping the pan twice after 15 second engine starts, I inspected the
crank and piston bores to see that they were very well covered in oil.
After each test-start I cleaned the oil cap, only to find it covered in
oil every time.

I have tried installing a oil pressure sender on the top of the oil filter
flange AND on the back side of the cylinderhead... but I basically get a
reading of 0 bar.

The only thing I have left to try is to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge
to see the real story... but I am afraid that I really DO have a low-pressure
issue.  What else could be wrong!?

Any experience here would be soooo appreciated...

TIA!

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v