interesting coolant stuff

--=====================_-851989250==_.ALT

Might be right about the tag, but I do remember that one type is not
recommended for the plastic to aluminum bonding...

-Raffi

At 10:57 AM 3/24/2003 -0800, Dan Smith wrote:

>Pretty sure the cap says 'Use only VW brand phosphate free coolant' or
>something similiar.
>
>Dan
>
>  Euroroc II <flaatr@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>All I remember is not to use one of the glycol's, polypropylene or
>>polyethylene, one is safe and one is bad...
>>
>>Bad is defined as it does not protect the bonding of the aluminum core to
>>the plastic ends on the radiator.
>>
>>Been using the blue stuff (look another color) from the dealer. I think the
>>warning tag that most people hove lost, the one that goes around the filler
>>cap on the expansion tank, warns what is safe to use. I'll look at mine and
>>get back to you.
>>
>>-RGK-
>>
>>At 12:09 PM 3/24/2003 -0500, rfkellner@snet.net wrote:
>> >It seems like we have run the full gamut of coolant opinions. From
>> >straight H2O to never use the green to never use the pink/orange. Can
>> >anyone point to some industry papers or independent studies?
>> >
>> >Also, for someone that wants to run straight H2O aren't there plain
>> >additives to inhibit corrosion? If so, what is in these products?
>> >
>> >Thanks, Rick K. Soon to change water pump and coolant.....

recommended for the plastic to aluminum bonding...<br><br>
-Raffi<br><br>
At 10:57 AM 3/24/2003 -0800, Dan Smith wrote:<br><br>
VW brand phosphate free coolant' or something similiar. <br><br>
Dan <br><br>
the glycol's, polypropylene or <br>
polyethylene, one is safe and one is bad...<br><br>
Bad is defined as it does not protect the bonding of the aluminum core to
the plastic ends on the radiator.<br><br>
Been using the blue stuff (look another color) from the dealer. I think
the <br>
warning tag that most people hove lost, the one that goes around the
filler <br>
cap on the expansion tank, warns what is safe to use. I'll look at mine
and <br>
get back to you.<br><br>
-RGK-<br><br>
At 12:09 PM 3/24/2003 -0500, rfkellner@snet.net wrote:<br>
&gt;It seems like we have run the full gamut of coolant opinions.
From<br>
&gt;straight H2O to never use the green to never use the pink/orange.
Can<br>
&gt;anyone point to some industry papers or independent studies?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Also, for someone that wants to run straight H2O aren't there
plain<br>
&gt;additives to inhibit corrosion? If so, what is in these
products?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Thanks, Rick K. Soon to change water pump and coolant.....<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Original Message:<br>
&gt;-----------------<br>
&gt;From: ian Butler ian@bluemoon.hplx.net<br>
&gt;Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:03:55 -0500 (EST)<br>
&gt;To: tberk@mindspring.com, scirocco-l@scirocco.org<br>
&gt;Subject: Re: interesting coolant stuff<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, T Berk wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; It's SILICA that is abrasive in old style coolant, it rubs seal
to<br>
&gt; &gt; death and is prob. the main cause (right up there with stiff
belts<br>
&gt; &gt; drawn too tight) of weepy waterpumps.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Check the label of the orange stuff next time; silica free.
Prob.<br>
&gt; &gt; partly the reason the orange stuff seems to creep out around
hoses and<br>
&gt; &gt; cause that scabby crust as well.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I believe Dex and other long-life coolants have special detergents
that,<br>
&gt;more or less like synthetic, have a tendency to &quot;clean things
up&quot;, which can<br>
&gt;involve removing gunk that's keeping the system from leaking.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;More importantly, though, green antifreeze contains phosphates,
and<br>
&gt;phosphates eat aluminum. It's not a big deal in inline cars
like<br>
&gt;Sciroccos, but it's a *huge* deal in Vanagons, where coolant sits in
the<br>
&gt;heads, seeps under the gaskets, and pits/rusts its way right through
to the<br>
&gt;ground. Such a serious and expensive problem on those that a lot
of<br>
&gt;prospective Vanagon buyers won't touch a bus with green coolant in
it.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;It hasn't concerned me enough to immediately replace the green
coolant in my<br>
&gt;'roc (not that I've had the stupid thing since November anyway..
grumble)<br>
&gt;but it's about due for a flush, and it'll get Dex when I fill it
again.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; btw- Yep, water conducts better than coolant, 70/30 water to
coolant<br>
&gt; &gt; seems like a good nominal minimum.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I believe 70/30 is minimum and 30/70 is maximum. Supposedly if you go
above<br>
&gt;30/70,
th<a href="http://rd.yahoo.com/platinum/evt=8162/*http://platinum.yahoo.com/splash.html";>Yahoo!
Platinum</a> - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness,