Por-15 Question and couple of MkI Q's too

On Sunday, Mar 23, 2003, at 08:00 US/Eastern,
scirocco-l-request@scirocco.org wrote:

> Re: Por-15 Question and couple of MkI Q's too

I tried POR 15 for the first time yesterday.  I must say I like the
results.

Background:

I have an '81 that's in surprisingly good shape (I'm in Charlotte, NC
and it's lived in SC for all of it's life) with no rust other an area
under the gas filler cap.  It's in a teardown state and will get a
custom "restoration" for daily driver duty and auto-x ing.

The Test:

I'd read about POR 15 and wanted to try some on a limited scope.  I
pulled the rear axle and dismantled the rear discs for future rebuild.
I ordered the starter pack and a six pack of por15 black and chassis
coat black for the project.  After a winter of tearing things apart, I
need a constructive mini-project!

After cleaning and etching, I painted the rear beam with POR15.  It
brushed on quickly and cured over a 4-5 hour time span (70 degrees this
weekend) which I think is typical.  The directions suggest top coating
while tacky, but time management didn't allow.  I'll be top coating
using the chassis coat tonight or tomorrow, and this only requires
light scuffing (sanding) of the hardened POR15.  I will also be using
POR15 grey (just a diff color -- they have a silver that has metal
flake in it for really damaged areas) on the sway bar which I'll top
coat with red engine paint.

Initial Conclusion:

I haven't compared POR15 to other products (rustoleum or eastwood) but
I'm sold on the results so far.  I'll be using it on my fender wells
and front control arms and steering rack I'm sure.  I don't see it as a
100% rust treatment or silver bullet.  I agree that cutting out and
replacing the offending part is the best course for major damage.  I do
see it as a great protective barrier and sealer for cars of our age.
As with anything, YMMV.

I wish someone would make a regenerative compound for window and door
seals for our cars.  Finding those is going to be impossible.

-George