How do I reinstall Mk 1 windshield trim?

    Using the old seal is usualy the best bet if the seal is in good shape.
( less likely to break windshield when installing). The chrome trim strip
just pushes into the grove. I used a new rubber seal in my 79 Scirocco. I
didn't replace the chrome insert since I like the look of the plain rubber
seal better than with the funky chrome insert. To install a windshield take
some spray silicone and cover the rubber, the edge of the glass and the
metal on the car that it fits into liberally. You put the glass in the
groove in the rubber and in the groove that the metal window frame will be
in you put a length of say 16 gauge electrical wire ( stranded, plastic
covered ). The wire should be started at the bottom and go complete around
the window groove plus crossing over a few inches and have some left over to
pull on.  Set the window onto the metal at the bottom and with one person
inside and one or two people outside start to install. The person inside
pulls on the wire and that pulls the rubber up over the metal. The outside
help pushes on the window and seal. Pretty simple if the window doesn't
break. Used windshields are easier to break than new. Installed two
windshields this month. One on a 1981 Rabbit pickup ( with what is called a
Cal look seal which doesn't have a slot for the chrome trim) and one on my
79 Scirocco ( on which I just left the chrome trim strip off). I had to do a
lot of looking to find a new seal for the Scirocco and in the end it cost
twice as much as the one for the Rabbit . We cut the seal to get the
windshield out of the donor car and when trying to save the seal on the car
we are putting the windshield in I just set in the passenger seat and put my
feet on the windshield and push (kick) it out.
Brian Decker
Western Washington