[OT: 4 AM musings (Rocc related and LONG)]

ternil@union.edu wrote:
It's four in the morning and I'm at work, so ignore this if you feel so =

inclined.

I stopped by rick alexander's the other day to say hi and show him the =

corrado. I parked on the street and saw his 16v in its parking spot. Saw =
Rick

and said hello. Meandered into the cluttered, yet organized garage and lo=
oked

over the MkI G60 Beastie, and I got to thinking. Then I went home and ran=
 the

rocco for a little bit, and I realized that I miss my rocco a lot.

I love the corrado, I love the engine and the heated seats. I love the fa=
ct =

that people comment on the car and how nice it looks. I love the spoiler.=
 I =

love the sound at full throttle. I love how smooth it is.

I hate the fact that I need to think to stop it, even with big brakes on =
it. I

hate the fact the timing chains are gonna go at some point. I hate how mu=
ch =

parts cost. I hate the fact that there's a damn cover over the engine. I =
hate

the fact that I have NO idea what the hell is going on in that engine bay=
=2E

Now, Rick can comment that I had little idea what the hell was going on u=
nder

the 8v's bonnet, but I felt like I had a bit more of a grasp of that than=
 the

monstrosity I see under the hood of the Corrado.

I still have the 8v, but I have to get rid of it, I just don't have any p=
lace

to put it and I can't afford the insurance. But, BUT. In a little over a =
year

I will be done with college, and will be hopefully getting a place and =

hopefully a job. I miss the Rocco enough that I think I'll get another on=
e. =

Something to keep as a fun little car to bomb around with and carve up th=
e =

corners on the weekends. And of course, to go to Cincy.

I think a large part of this feeling though, is that I just don't feel li=
ke =

there is a corrado community like the scirocco-l. When I had a problem wi=
th =

the Rocco, or just a general question, I got almost immeadiate answers or=
 =

offers to help, some very intelligent, some very funny, some very helpful=
=2E I'd

like to thank you guys for maintaining a truly amazing living database of=
 =

information. (Particularly Julie, who doesn't seem to mind me stopping by=
 =

unannounced when I need to procrasinate, and Rick who didn't seem to mind=
 me =

practically LIVING in his house, but to all you guys in general)

So of all this ramble basically comes to this: I love the Corrado, I miss=
 the

Rocco and the Rocco Family. I want both. Someday in a year or so, perhaps=
 one

will fall in my lap, maybe a MkI or a non-red 16v MkII, and I'll be able =
to =

take a wrench to something again. Be afraid.

~Lyman
87 8v
92 SLC Raddo

I understand exactly. The "extended list" is as helpful as your "local gr=
oup"
too. And as for figuring out what's going on, my comfy heavy bug is the s=
ame,
unless you have the diagnostic computer to read its mind, good luck. Of c=
ourse
there is the fun factor too, and a Rocc's hard to beat for that. =

But as far as the people go, they're among the best I've ever met. I thin=
driving these cars requires a patient and forgiving owner, and that attit=
ude
extends to the way they treat people as well. So we'll welcome you back i=
n a
year or so when you're looking for another one. =

For me, to discover a car that was such a blast to drive was a nice surpr=
ise,
but to find that it came with this wonderful helpful group of very bright=

people was the real shocker. And it sure is one of the benefits of owners=
hip.

Thanks again to Brett for setting this list up, and to Daun for getting u=
together in the flesh on an annual basis. Gonna go sit in the car and cry=

now...you guys are the best...
Cathy

PS Who would say that one of their cars was "saved from the wreckers" bec=
ause
of this group? I'm wondering how many there are. My headache may well hav=
been sold early on without the support. It was a mechanical disaster zone=
=2E

And you can't scare me, I'm not afraid.