cooling system air bubbles

I guess I should have mentioned that when the upper radiator hose is
bulging like that, it's full of air, not water. I've felt it before under
normal warmed-up operation and if I squeeze it I can feel the water
running inside. That is not the case in my current situation, at least not
until the engine gets VERY hot and the fan finally turns on.

Furthermore, it's not an odd-shaped "bad hose" bulge, but rather just a
general "bloat", like a balloon half-filled with air. I hear you on the
cooling system pressure thing - had troubles there when my coolant level
sensor cracked about 2 yrs ago. That was a bit of a pain to track down
because the leak was so small.  And as far as bad hoses, my T-shaped 3-way
oil cooler<->water pump<->block hose blew right after I put my 2.0 in.
That was a nasty $55 surprise that got tacked on to my already expensive
engine project..

Anyway, I made -some- progress today on purging the air. I let the engine
warm up and the fan turn on by itself (at almost 7/8 of full on the temp
gauge), then the engine cooled down to 3/5ths or so and I opened the
coolant tank and held the throttle at 3500-ish. The coolant level in the
bottle went shooting down and the tank went completely dry. I added as
much water as I could before the level came back up (which it did rather
quickly) then I couldn't get the level to go down again but it's still
progress. I'll work on it some more later.

Now the fan comes on at around 3/5ths on the gauge rather than 7/8ths. It
should come on (in my past experience) at or around halfway on the gauge.
So it's getting closer..

Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions..

-Toby