OT: Help with other VW. ticking lifters

begin  quote on Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:51:23 -0800 (PST)
by Andrew Wong <mkii_84@yahoo.com>
> Ever since its gotten very warm in Florida (Likee high
> 80 degrees) my Quantum has made this ticking noise
> that I think are the lifters.  I know they use hyrdo
> lifters like some Sciroccos.  I also had my oil change
> only a couple of months ago which in milage was about
> 1000 miles ago or less.  I am using 20w50 oil in the
> Quantum,  When it was cold in Florida I did not get
> this problem, but this is the first time I've heard
> ticking.  Either that its the vacuum pump.  The
> ticking goes away once the engine warms up and doesn't
> bother me much so I can live with it.  Will changing
> the oil make a difference?

I had this problem with my lifters, I swapped them all for brand new
ones and they still rattled. Then I changed to 10w40 and I have not
heard a peep out of them since. This may not be an option if your engine
is very worn as it will burn more oil but mine (92K) does not smoke or
use any oil between changes (5K).

--Andrew