Mk1 [tech] - Addition of pre-pump?

You can't fit the transfer pump into the early style
gas tanks.

The full-size-spare-tire gas tanks have a baffle
riveted to the bottom skin directly below the cap. The
transfer pump will interfere with this baffle.

You can't fit the space-saver-spare-tire gas tank to
an earlier car (at least not easily) because the
mouting system is different.

I have heard of someone who had some success at using
a crowbar to break the baffle loose from its rivets in
the early style tank. Then you can push it out of the
way and install a transfer pump. Of course you will
have to plug the fuel lines on the outside of the
tank. As Drew mentioned, the tanks are shaped
differently, so I don't know if the transfer pump will
pick up off the bottom of the tank properly. You will
also have this plastic/metal assembly floating around
in the tank, which may cause it's own issues...you're
kind of on your own if you go that route!

What is the goal here?

The stock tank will starve on 1/4 tank or less. If you
can't get that low, your tank's baffle feed line (a
little rubber line between the baffle in the middle
and the pump feed on the side) has deteriorated and
you should rebuild the tank anyway. If you rebuild it,
have them put fuel cell foam in there to keep the fuel
from sloshing, and maybe have them fabricate a better
baffle. Just remember, "money is speed!"

But though they are a little better, even the later
style tanks will starve at low fuel levels. I don't
know if adding a transfer pump would improve the
situation enough to make it worthwhile.

Finally, all of these issues and solutions are illegal
for most forms of racing that require a stock tank. If
a stock tank isn't required, just get a damn fuel cell
and skip the whole mess completely!

Neal