F**k - of all the things that can break

All help is appreciated - trouble is, I'm in an apartment and can't take
anything apart.

No tools for a compression check.

I'll be sure not to stick the metal end of the screwdriver into my ear,
though I doubt I can keep the motor running and reving and the screwdriver
to the bottom of the motor.

Would the broken thrust bearings (I did find the thrust washers in the
Bentley) lead to a loss in performance and real horrid idleing?

I also read up in the Bentley regarding the metallic scraping sound that I
heard before which indicated piston rings or some such.

It has to go to a shop or someone's driveway who is very willing to let it
sit there.

Right now I'm looking for a replacement motor, because rebuilding is just
going to take too long.

Needless to say I'm riding a bicyle or buying a Honda (cheap VW possible)
because transportation is key - read that was my only car.

Yay I love 16vs.