non- running problem, 16v (long)

my friend alex's 16v scirocco has a running problem. when he brought it in
to me he complained of the car bucking and stalling after it warmed up.
immediatly i thought of the transfer pump, as that these are the exact
symptoms both of my 16v rocco's showed with bad transfer pumps. i replaced
the transfer pumps and the bucking stopped, but now there's a different
problem. after the car has warmed up, 5-10 mins of running, it dies
instantly when given gas from idle. it then refuses to start until cooling
off, at least 1/2 hour or longer. still thinking a fuel problem, i checked
the injectors which i found needed o-rings. while replaceing the o-rings i
noticed his injectors looked bad, so i replaced them with a spare set of
freshly cleaned injectors. then i checked the fuel pump relay which tested
fine.  restart the car, and get the same thing. instant death when given gas
after warmed up. so now i'm thinking maybe the main pump? or maybe am i to
locked on a fuel problem to be missing the true cause? any thoughts,
suggestions, or previous experiences with this kind of problem? help, i'm
really getting sick of this friggin' car! tia
   hit

So Sayeth The Hitman
'88 "stripe" 16v scirocco
<http://www.techography.net:82/brettsgarage>