burning oil?

I don't normally reply to my old posts but I just wanted to follow up- I
replaced the water pump and thermostat today. This time I used a stock
87C thermostat instead of the super-low 71C. The car actually warms up to
normal temp (needle at the LED) now, and rather quickly (like it used to).
It's nice to have heat again!!

Anyway, I haven't driven it enough to know about oil consumption, but I
can say that the engine seems to make a lot more power now that it warms
up all the way. Kinda weird, actually. It was raining out and I got tire
spin at WOT in 3rd gear, while I normally get it only sometimes and only
in 2nd when the road is wet. I also get much better throttle response
especially at low rpms now. Maybe its my imagination but the engine seems
a lot happier when its is allowed to warm up normally.

My vote is for the stock thermostat, but if you're gonna go low temp get
something less radical than 71C.

On a side note, my water pump stopped squeaking but now I have a new
squeak and it appears to be the crank pulley rubbing on something. AGAIN.
Arrgh.. I loathe having a car with squeaking belts - it makes you look
like an idiot that can't maintain a car properly.

-Toby

BTW I'd still like it if someone could tell me where to get a compression
tester that will work with the 16v head.