Front crossmember stress bar

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 16:47:12 -0800 "L F" <rocco16v@netzero.net> writes:
> I have to say something now about this bar; It ain't gonna' do a
> whole hell of a lot.  It's way too long for it's diameter...too much
> flex.  The crossmember you are trying to reinforce is MUCH stiffer
> than the "reinforcement", consequently the stock crossmember is
> still going to absorb 99% of the stress. If you want to stock the
> cracking, weld a large, thick, form-fitted steel plate to the
> crossmember.  This will spread out those stresses.  The trick
> reinforcing bar is way too flexible to transmit the vertical
> stresses to the sides.
> That's all...

I Agree with Larry here. Well, not with his 99% stress part, I dont have
an opinion of precentile figures. That tubing will still flex due to its
length. The tubing is strong however not in a lateral load sort of
strong. Gussets will help the bar be stronger on the c shaped brackets
but I dont think enough to make a lot of difference.

I also agree with what he partictularly said, "If you want to stop
(<--edit) the cracking, weld a large, thick, form-fitted steel plate to
the crossmember". Thats the ticket right there.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -AS- #30  2002 SDR Solo2 Champion
Scirocco" 84' Scirocco 8V 82' Scirocco RIP 80' Scirocco S 79' "Project
FSP
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!