Question for an engine code decoding whiz..

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 DieingSwan@aol.com wrote:

> Wow, thanks again, man! They told me they *thought* that engine was from a
> Jetta, but they didn't know the year. Glad I know for sure now. Solid
> lifters... I don't have a lot of engine rebuilding experience/knowledge, but
> I believe the advantage of these is the lifters won't collapse; on the other
> hand you are supposed to do a valve adjustment every once in awhile with the
> solids... right? I'll wait til it has a running problem before messing with
> that! My Scirocco does have a 5 speed; I'll have to try to look on the tranny
> to see if it's an ACH.

Periodic valve adjustments are necessary with the solid lifters, although
generally the diesels do not require much adjustment, unless, of course,
it's never been done... :)

> Not only that, but it might throw a spanner (literally) into my plan to
> restore factory A/C (original in this Scirocco) to the car for summer. My
> Bentley manual for the Scirocco shows the AC compressor attached to the block
> right where the diesel injector pump is now!! Where on earth would it go...
> there just doesn't seem room anywhere for it. I may just have to sweat :)

A/C would definitely be a challenge.  You'll need to use an alternator and
compressor that match the bracket you have (or acquire, depending on what
bracket is already on the engine.)  You won't be able to use the old
square style compressors common on the pre-84 VW's.  Instead you'll need
the round style.  It will be situated a little above and out from the
water pump, and the alternator will sit above it and run off the A/C
pulley.

Pane #3 in http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd/a1-diesel-belts.JPG will
give you an idea of what it will look like.

Drew

|  84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco  |
|    http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd       |