Question for an engine code decoding whiz..

Hi Courtney,

The ME code is a 1.6L NA diesel, in North America first available in the
85 Golf/Jetta, and available though to 92 model year (in Canada anyways.)
Until mid-86 the ME (and its turbo-diesel cousin, the MF) had solid
lifters, in mid-86 hydraulic lifters were adapted.

All VW diesels up to the introduction of the TDI call for the same filter,
so finding one shouldn't be a problem (068 115 561 B is the VW part
number.)

Let me know if you need any more information...

Drew

|  84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco  |
|    http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd       |