When/why we need x-member bracing

OK so we need a good metalurgist on the list to step up and do some analyzing
of the early metal vs. late. Perhaps when they went to the A2 generation they
did change the formula in the metal. That would go along with Neals theory.
>From my old physics class I do know less malleable (sp?) metal equals less
flexibility and is more prone to breaking.

I can toss my experience in FWIW I have run a 2.0 16v in my 80 and see no
stress in my chassis.  I also drive it about at hard as possible and run drag
slicks at the strip. Before the scirocco I had the engine in a rabbit and no
problems there either. I actually ran into the hiway median and swayed the
front so much I had to customize the front cup. It was very tweaked but the
metal did not crack anywhere. I have been know to get airborne in my cars
too. I also run Bilstiens and 350# rate front springs with no upper stress
bar only 16v lower. Stock side mounts with motorsport rear and poly front.

Jasin