How to pull the hub off the bearing?

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 20:50:15 +0000
"Tobias ><" <scirocco16v88@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm going to replace the wheel bearings myself, but I need to know if
> there is a patented Cheapass method of pulling the Hub of the Bearing
> - or do I need one of those fancy hub pullers?
>
> I do not intend to remove the hub and bearing assembly from the car -
> I'm going to change the bearing while the bearing housing is still
> attached. I'm going to use a bearing puller installer tool for this.

Take the strut off it's easier

drive out the hub from the back on the inside, then take out the bearing
retaining circlips and heat the outside of the bearing housing with a
blowtorch so it expands more than the bearing inside, then you can drive
out the old bearing.

While you are doing this the new bearing should be cooling down in the
freezer at -18 deg C, at this temperature it will drop in easily. Then
freeze the hub also and when the new bearing has returned to room
temperature the hub will drop straight into the bearing.

I hope that is some use

--Andrew