  From: Robbie Cotner=20
  To: Ken B=20
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 6:46 PM
  Subject: Re: Drive shaft install

  your motor mounts may be misaligned, is it only one shaft giving you =
trouble?  On all my roccos, all of which have 90mm shafts(not sure if =
that makes it easier to install or not), there hasn't been any trouble =
getting them in.  Sometimes on the drivers side shaft, I have to =
remove/adjust part of the shift linkage, swing the axle towards the =
firewall and up above the flange, apply pressure towards the hub, and =
push it down into the flange.  Hope that makes sense!=20

  Rob=20

   Ken B <Indiana_Red@hotmail.com> wrote:=20

    I really dont remember this much trouble getting the tranny end of =
the drive
    shaft back on the flange. Both drive shafts have remained connected =
at the
    wheel end during this engine swap. I cant believe that I actually =
have to
    take the wheel off of the controll arm and swing it away to get that =
last
    1/4 to 1/2 inch That I need to clear the center of the inner CV =
joint past
    the edge of the drive flange. Is there an easier trick to this? I am
    moving the shaft all around trying to find a "way in". If the =
standard
    procedure is that you shouldn't have to then I will continue my =
efforts.
    Bently doesn't say you should have to..unless its an automatic.
    Guess I'll keep at it.
    Thanks
    Ken=20
    1979 Scirocco 16V - Almost done
    81 Deisel P/U - Rescued from neglegent PO
    VORTEX: "Indiana Red"

------=_NextPart_000_0D25_01C2E0EE.7543A180

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Robbie, This is exactly what I did for =
the driver=20
side.&nbsp; My bigger problem is that on the longer passenger shaft, it =
was=20
hanging down a bit too far when I replaced the oil pan gasket.&nbsp; Now =
the oil=20
pan is back in place with the pass. side drive shaft hanging slightly =
forward of=20
the pan.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>DOH !</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>hehe I can be pretty stupid =
sometimes.&nbsp; So=20
after looking at the Bentley again and Allyn's suggestion, I will pull =
ht e=20
"clamp bolt" from the pass side control arm ball joint and swing the =
wheel out,=20
lift up the shaft and swing it back.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That is what you mean right =
Allyn?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks again</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken <BR>1979 Scirocco 16V -&nbsp; =
Almost done<BR>81=20
Deisel P/U - Rescued from neglegent PO<BR>VORTEX:&nbsp; "Indiana=20
Red"<BR></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Drobw_z@yahoo.com href=3D"mailto:robw_z@yahoo.com";>Robbie =
Cotner</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3DIndiana_Red@hotmail.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:Indiana_Red@hotmail.com";>Ken B</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A =
title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, March 02, 2003 =
6:46=20
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: Drive shaft =
install</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>your motor mounts may be misaligned, is it only one shaft giving =
you=20
  trouble?&nbsp; On all my roccos, all of which have 90mm shafts(not =
sure if=20
  that makes it easier to install or not), there hasn't been any trouble =
getting=20
  them in.&nbsp; Sometimes on the drivers side shaft, I have to =
remove/adjust=20
  part of the shift linkage, swing the axle towards the firewall and up =
above=20
  the flange, apply pressure towards the hub, and push it down into the=20
  flange.&nbsp; Hope that makes sense!=20
  <P>Rob=20
  <P>&nbsp;<B><I>Ken B &lt;Indiana_Red@hotmail.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px =
solid">I=20
    really dont remember this much trouble getting the tranny end of the =

    drive<BR>shaft back on the flange. Both drive shafts have remained =
connected=20
    at the<BR>wheel end during this engine swap. I cant believe that I =
actually=20
    have to<BR>take the wheel off of the controll arm and swing it away =
to get=20
    that last<BR>1/4 to 1/2 inch That I need to clear the center of the =
inner CV=20
    joint past<BR>the edge of the drive flange. Is there an easier trick =
to=20
    this? I am<BR>moving the shaft all around trying to find a "way in". =
If the=20
    standard<BR>procedure is that you shouldn't have to then I will =
continue my=20
    efforts.<BR>Bently doesn't say you should have to..unless its an=20
    automatic.<BR>Guess I'll keep at it.<BR>Thanks<BR>Ken <BR>1979 =
Scirocco 16V=20
    - Almost done<BR>81 Deisel P/U - Rescued from neglegent =
PO<BR>VORTEX:=20
    "Indiana=20
    =
Red"<BR><BR><BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Sc=
irocco-l=20
    mailing=20
    =
list<BR>Scirocco-l@scirocco.org<BR>http://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/=
scirocco-l</BLOCKQUOTE>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=3D1>
  Do you Yahoo!?<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/mailtagline/*http://taxes.yahoo.com/"=
>Yahoo!=20
  Tax Center</A> - forms, calculators, tips, and =
more</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0D25_01C2E0EE.7543A180--