Drive shaft install

I really dont remember this much trouble getting the tranny end of the drive
shaft back on the flange.  Both drive shafts have remained connected at the
wheel end during this engine swap.  I cant believe that I actually have to
take the wheel off of the controll arm and swing it away to get that last
1/4 to 1/2 inch That I need to clear the center of the inner CV joint past
the edge of the drive flange.  Is there an easier trick to this?  I am
moving the shaft all around trying to find a "way in".  If the standard
procedure is that you shouldn't have to then I will continue my efforts.
Bently doesn't say you should have to..unless its an automatic.
Guess I'll keep at it.
Thanks
Ken
1979 Scirocco 16V -  Almost done
81 Deisel P/U - Rescued from neglegent PO
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"