  From: Hudin Lucian
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 12:40 AM
  Subject: cooling problem

  hey guys, i have 3 questions...

  yesterday I was driving to work and notice a sudden rise of
  the oil / water temp., stopped the car, looked under the hood, the radiator
  was almost empty. I stopped the car after about 10 minutes of driving and
  before that the water level was ok because I've checked just the other
  night.
  The oil temp. was 117 celsius in the moment I've stopped the car.
  Strange but the cooler fan didn't start and the water warn buzz didnt'
  trigger at all.
  I probably stopped the car in time. Checked the oil, no signs of water, oil
  looked
  good (~1200 km, Aral 10w-40). No burning smells from under the hood.
  After the engine cooled down, I've started it for a few secs and it didn't
  show any
  signs of trouble.
  Probably a rat has eaten over night some hose...

  1) How much damage could have been done to my 16V ?

  and I still have the problem with the rumbling engine, loud trepidation in
  3rd, 4th and ~3000 RPM
  or at idle speed when the engine is hot... The mechanic that changed it
  (before it was everything ok, except
  that all the engine mounts were 90% destroyed) told me it's the rear engine
  mount, which is
  new (OEM part directly from Germany) and probably not very good (?!) .
  2). What engine mount should I use ?
  3). Is it possible that the mechanic assembled the engine mounts wrong ?
  (all mounts were changed brand new OEM parts)

  Besides that, I've just acquired a JE V8 front grille just waiting to be
  installed from www.je-design.de