Couple of Q's about a 79- kinda longish

>Now on to my questions.  I have a 79 that is soon to be my daily transport
and need some advice. The injection was swapped from my 84 GTi, CIS w/Lamba,
>and I was wondering if the O2 sensor needs a Cat to function properly.

No, the O2 sensor is before the cat.

>How much of the EGR system can be removed?

All of it!!

>How much of the vacuum system -canister, amplifier, that kinda stuff- can
be removed with no negative effects? I saw the tech note from a couple weeks
ago, is it >pretty much the same for the mk1?

All of it as long as you have a vacuum line for the vacuum advance and
retard you really don't need much else.

> I want to swap the dizzy for a hall sender unit and I read somewhere the
vacuum advance/retard may be better than mechanical. Any thoughts?

One of my better upgrades when I was running an 8v.  I couldn't believe the
difference between points and electronic ignition.

>And last but not least, has anybody put a GTi rear bumper on a mk1? I have
one, and boy is it lighter than the stock one. Just wondering how it looks
and fits >before I waste time on it.

Not sure about this one but it will mainly depend on whether or not it fits
the body as the mounting points are the same for all A1 cars.

A quick comment on your fuel system ordeal.  Basically, you can get rid of
everything that doesn't sense or do something that is aimed at your fuel
system.  The Cat, carbon cannister, EGR system, etc. etc. are all part of
the attempt to reduce emissions.  If you don't fall under this particular
category (state or age of car) then there is nothing wrong with pulling this
stuff off.  For the most part, the CIS with Lambda (even without a cat) will
run clean enough to pass emissions.  Good Luck!!

Dave