Cleaning issues

It's been a while since the car had a bath.  Too long, in fact.  The paint is dull and there's areas on the roof and hood where it's lighter in color.  Will a good wash and buff do the trick?

I've always used mild dish detergent in the past.  Something tells me there's better things out there for this purpose.  What do you guys recommend that isn't a fortune?  Wax/polish items as well?

Mike

word (wûrd)
interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to something. Sometimes used with up. Source