Lacquer, enamel or urethane?

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:55:54PM -0400, Rick Kellner wrote:

> What types and brands of paint have people used to repaint their cars?
> I have heard that the best base to start with is the paint that is on
> the car.  It is not recommended to take the car down to metal.
> So which types: Lacquer, enamel or urethane?  Which brands?

Lacquer sucks.  Least durable paint around.  Has a ton of VOCs, so you
best have a positive pressure ventilation suit, unless you like brain
cancer. Urethane is very durable, but can't be wet sanded well, so you
better have perfect prep and spray job.  It cures rapidly, and is what
most all shops use.  Enamel has reasonable durability, but takes a while
to fully harden.  It can be wet sanded, making it a good choice for a DIY
job.

Dan

--
For those who were wondering, a scalded cat has faster 0-60 times, but a
raped ape will take him in the quarter....