Cool revolutionary head design - no more valves

Yeah, I remember that one.  These are all very fascinating, partly because none of them are a whole lot better than what we've got.  Pretty amazing since what we've got was basically figured out well over 100 years ago.  Heck, I don't think Lycoming has even bothered to redesign it's engines in the past 30+ years.  They have added genius touches like removeable oil filters.  OOOOOHH!

I've been watching Coates for a while, too.  His latest geometry is a lot better for opening stuff quickly, but still doesn't seem like a panacea or anything.  Originally, if I recall, he was trying to run everything off of one shaft, but maybe I just remember it wrong.  All the same, could work well to make some rev' happy engines even happier, I think.  Having to cut so much spherical stuff seems like it would be a pain (though I'm no machinist).  Sure you can CNC it, but I don't picture GM producing a few hundred thousand engines off of CNC equipment any time soon. I mean cams are odd things to cut, but that's cheap technology now.

Did you guys see the one where the guy had used a two stroke engine cycle (IIRC) as the cylinder head of a 4 stroke?  The two stroke was powered just like a camshaft would be, and the larger 4 stroke pistons did the useful work.  Very odd.  Never bothered to consider whether that would work or not.  Something about huge increases in reciprocating masses kinda turned me off.

I'm still waiting for the Wankel to finally catch on.  Ha.  That and I want a stirling cycle based air conditioner, powered electromagnetically.  Apparently those were actually starting to catch on a couple of years ago. The "latest developments" were supposed to make refrigeration simple and cheap enough that every hut in Africa (I'm not being racist or something, this was the actual claim I read) would have a refrigerator. Haven't heard much about that lately.

I knew a prof who was a total cheapassTM carnut, but not in a good way.  He was threatening to convert his A/C in his Z to propane.  Wonder if he ever did it, and wonder if he survived!

BH