OT- 97 GTI 2.0 (Got a Trouble code)Getting somewhere now

Well after seeing Drew and Kevin's posts I went out and checked out the
MAF  sensor.  It looked ok, but I sprayed it down with some brake cleaner
on the off chance it was dirt that I didn't see.  Well she fired right
up.  Oddly
enough while it was running the timing light cut out again, but the motor still
ran(was hooked up to the coil).  After a little checking I discovered it's
the well
worn connector for the timing light to it's leads causing that problem-not
a coil
problem at all.  It ran for 5 minutes, though a bit rough, but enough to
get me
headed in the right direction.  After this got emails from Brain Wagner and
Chris
Coleman saying to do just as I had done.  Gotta love this list(well that
and a scan
tool!

John