[delete if busy] Setting the record straight!(we can ditch thisthread now)

<rolls eyes>

The long and the short of it are this. Dave Ewing rebuilt the motor,
picked the motor up and found that the new rod bolts, main bearing bolts
and other brand new parts I supplied for the rebuild had not been
installed. Dave commented motor was unknown mileage but known good. I
could still see the factory cross hatching in the cylinder walls with
some very what I thought to be light scoring. Picked up motor after
rebuild and Delong noted that the hone job appeared to have been done
very half-assed and score marks in cylinders were still just as present.
I being new to VW motors at the time and pressed for time installed the
block anyway. My mistake.

Motor broke in carefully and correctly. Car continued to burn large
amounts of oil well after the break in period. Let Dave know I felt the
block was suspect and was consuming a quart every 600 miles and I felt
the block/rebuild was suspect. Dave did not respond for months. All the
while he continued to post on this list. When he did respond his
response was, "it cant be the rebuild, I did it like all the others I
do", pity on those folks. Regardless from the months it took him to
respond to the fact there was no warranty expressed or implied I began
swallowing the fact that I had been had.

Headgasket blew on the car after 10K miles. Replaced head gasket
switched to ARP studs through out (thanks DeLong). Car continued to burn
oil. As of the last time I drove the car in consumes in excess of a
quart every hour. Compression is way low on 3 cylinders. Did lots of
other tests that I don't feel the need to go into here. Plugs foul solid
with oil every 250 miles. Mentioned the fact to Dave out of boredom and
his response was "I built it just like all the other ones". He wanted to
know just what I wanted him to do about it, very nicely I'll add.
Conversely I decided the last thing I wanted was him anywhere near my
car. End of story until earlier this year (car still in storage) where I
made a remark here on the list to effect of Dave and his shoddy rebuild.
In hindsight it was perhaps a poor choice on my part to air it here on
the list. For that I am sorry to both the list and Dave. Look, I'm the
first one to apologize. Touche'.

As of course you all know there were more things said and the dates are
hazy as I type this. If anyone is at all interested I can supply dates
and copies. The net net is this, the Scirocco is waiting till I have the
time part it out and life goes on. Sorry Dave for your perception that
I've singled you out as the cause for my blown motor, Ive ruled out over
the past year everything else. So lets do what I always do in these type
of situations. Blame Meze (like crazy). Damn you Meze....

Good to see the List in my absence has not grown up. So on with your
regularly scheduled banter. /thread Lock

16Volt
Your face here