national safety law?

I'm no expert on US laws but at a guess, I would have thought that any
change to the vehicle should be reported to the Insurance company, that is
something the cops could get you on.
As far as safety goes, surely any Classic cars on the roads (Old Caddilacs
etc) would pose a serious safety risk with their lack of crumple zones,
metal bumpers, sharp bits of metal out the front etc.

Just an Idea,

Adam Garside
'92 Scala 1.8i
'88 325i
http://www.geocities.com/little_log

                      Ryan Schuermann
                      <big_hot_tamale@yaho        To:       scirocco-l@scirocco.org
                      o.com>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  national safety law?
                      scirocco-l-bounces@s
                      cirocco.org

                      25/07/2003 08:33

I surfed around a bit, Abused google as best I could, but really
couldn't find a repository of laws that pertain to automobile
modification. Specifically what is or isn't against the law
pertaining to automobile modification, specifically bumpers. I
just assume because we live in such a safety conscious country that
any slight change from the factory is automatically illegal unless
the part and installation has been DOT ot NHTSA approved. But I
know we routinely swap ours out for euro production, or make custom
mods to lighten them. The average cop isn't going to know euro from
american (well ok Meze would! ;P) But what about going more drastic?
like installing custom bump stops ala Porsche design, or yanking the
entire bumper concept and just runing 'naked'. Aerodynamics aside
because I'm not talking about drag racing here, or trying to win the
LeMans. I'm thinking purely cosmetics here, and what I could legally
get away with, and what I would then know the rest fell under illegal.
Ya know nothing is sexier than the Trans-Am champ 'rocco front :)

thanx
Ryan (remember me? hehe)
81 1.8 8v
85 1.8 8v for sale