Back-up lights

Concerning my still non-functioning back-up lights:  there was a bunch of oily gunk in the end of the old switch where the wires connect.  In retrospect, I realize that I didn't clean out the end of the wiring harness.  Would this keep them from functioning with a new back-up switch?  Are there other issues that would keep them from working?

Mike

word (wûrd)
interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to something. Sometimes used with up. Source