Odometer gears???

If the little red gear is still intact, then it is probably the shaft that runs through all the numbers that is slipping on the metal gear at the end.  You can take the shaft out (make sure you remember what mileage the car is at so you can put all the numbers beck correctly) and then burr the end where it goes into that metal gear.  When I did this 40k miles ago on my car, I also added a tiny bit of super glue along with the burring, and it has held since.

Also be sure to read foxx's page (link was posted earlier) on this which is much more detailed than the description I just gave.

HTH

Doug C.
'88 16v
Raleigh, NC