What tranny fluid instead of Redline MTL? - SWEPCO !

Toby,

I wrote this list a while back about Redline vs. Swepco, a non-synthetic
dino family of lubricants.
My story is that while visiting S-Car-Go Porsche racing
(http://www.scargoracing.com/) I had a chance to talk with the owner
about lubricants.

He was tearing a Porsche transaxle apart, and I had noticed that the
shop stocked only Swepco lubricants, so I asked him about that...
He explained that only Swepco provided adequate lubrication for their
engines, trannies, etc. Seeing as they build some awsome mighty powerful
and expensive racing cars, I believe this is not a matter of money, but
of their belief in Swepco products.

"What about Redline", I asked. He used the trans that he was tearing
apart as a perfect example of how Redline separates into a chalky,
pinkish residue on many of the surfaces, and the liquid was a rather
thin mixture of different viscosities.
Even I, master mechanic that I ain't, could see how the trans was NOT
being protected by this stuff.

Conclusion: Although I'm currently running Redline, at change time, I
will switch to Swepco. When my Vanagon Syncro transaxle was rebuilt, I
asked for Swepco. Normally, the rebuilder specifies Redline, but had no
problem with my desire for Swepco in this very expensive ($3000)
transaxle. And I have no problem paying extra for what I believe is
probably the best lubrication I can buy for it.

Just my .02Wt

Ron
'88 Scirocco 16V 2.0L - Buzzbomb
'86 SyncroWesty - Quadrat