16V Timing question... again

>From: Ryan H <rhock99@epix.net>
>>So do you think it's safe that I lined the cams up by the dots only since
>>the sprocket was off?  Can the dots be off by any factions of an inch from
>>where they are supposed to be on the CAM?

yes, that's a fine way to line em up. they could be off, but since they're
on the teeth you'd have to have the dots halfway between teeth it to make a
difference.  it's pretty obvious if your cam chain is off a tooth.

>And just to be sure, the V notch on the flywheel is the 6' advance mark,
>and the little hole mark to the right of it (which I don't have) is the TDC
>mark, right?

well, usually the 6' mark is a V, but new flywheels only have one mark and
it's TDC. the TDC mark is to the left of the timing mark, iirc (looking at
it from the driver's side). check with a screwdriver in the #1 cylinder.
take out the plug, and see when the screwdriver is at it's highest point.
that's tdc. it may be a bit tough to differenciate 6', but it's worth a
shot.