A/C compressors

Yeah, VW switched off the York type compressors (those big square ones your used to) to the round, rotary type compressors around 85/86 it seems.  People argue that the York (which are a piston type compressor) are better...but I just don't like thier size.  If you can, try and source another proper rotary compressor...it'll save you some bracketry hassle in the long run.  Pretty much any VW with A/C after 86 or so will do for you...I think they were all the same up to the A3 chassis when they went to serpentine belts. (which means a different clutch/pully setup).

--
Eric
www.VintageWatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (FOR SALE!)
81 Rabbit Truck 2.0 16v Motronic
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg