engine swap shops -South Jersey

Welcome to the world of automobiles.
If you spend that $10K wisely, someone WILL want to buy it.  Not for $10K, but for maybe 25-30% of what you have in it.
Again, welcome to the world.....

I have to agree with Kervin here.  My son did this very thing with his MkI and the results were most satisfying.
Your alternative is to rebuild what you have (if originality is a priority with you) and spend almost as much having a nice concours car.

In the end, you will spend money regardless.  (welcome...)  This is how material things work in this life.

Larry
sandiego16v

   In the end,  I will have spent $10K on a car worth $1500 that no one wants to buy
  when I have to sell.
   Eric L

    On the other hand, you could
  get a JH short block for next to nothing, buy a 020 5 speed, spend some
  money on a p&p head, 4-2 manifold and nice exhaust, and just vented rotors.
  That might save you about $2k.